Building Regulations.
Listed Buildings.
Conservation Areas.
Peter Davis Designs
Architectural Services & Planning Consultancy
“The planning system plays an important role in modern society by helping to protect the environment in our towns and cities and in the countryside”

“The purpose of the planning system is to protect amenity and the environment in the public interest. It is not designed to protect the interests of one person over another”.


The two statements above are reproduced from the DTLR Planning Guide for Householders, (a slightly out of date publication still being given out by planning offices produced by a government department that has since morphed into something new).


Whatever your opinion on the veracity of the statements, with the exception of certain small projects termed permitted development, you will need the permission of your Local Authority Planning Department to carry out any other development. Whether it is a new home, extensions to an existing home, new buildings within the curtilage of an existing building, change of use of buildings or land, and many other possibilities, your Local Authority Planning Department will want to know about it.

Development by householders is usually about extending and/or altering a home, normally their own, or possibly building a new structure, habitable or not, within the curtilage of their home. The rules about Permitted Development within the Curtilage of a Dwellinghouse were amended in October 2008 to make it easier for householders to extend/alter their homes or build in their gardens without seeking planning permission. There is a good interactive guide available on the planning portal at the following link.


http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/pub lic/tools/house/


If you do need planning permission a planning drawing is about showing your Local Authority what you want to do, how big, where it is, what materials, what colour, and so on. But even if you do not require planning permission for your project others will need similar information. You will certainly require a drawing for your contractor. He/she will need something to price the work from and he/she needs to know what the building is to look like and what it is to be built from.


If you live in a conservation area or in a listed building permitted development barely exists and you should not consider starting any development without taking professional advice.